This Hot Chocolate is simply dreamy and I couldn’t think of a better way it makes me feel. It is deep, luscious and a complete indulgence…I love experimenting, but with good Hot Chocolate, there are a few simple rules to follow…great quality Chocolate and an added flavor element to elevate the chocolate. I like a good balance of a dark smoky chocolate and a smooth milk chocolate. The one special chocolate I used in this recipe is a Cinnamon and Sakay Pepper Chocolate, that imparts a gentle amount of spice into the chocolate. The liquid sea salted Caramel sauce is my Taste Safari Larder Special, however, there is an easy recipe for you to make it at home…
Simply place equal parts of salted butter, brown sugar and double cream into a heavy pan…bring to a boil until a dark caramel colour is reached, taking care not to burn the sugar.
Now, for this gorgeous Hot Chocolate for those chilly evenings.
- 500ml of full cream milk, combined with 100ml of double cream
- 1 1/2 Tbs of dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbs of Salted liquid Caramel
- 1/2 bar of dark chocolate ( either of these chocolates should be spiced, either chilli or sakay pepper )
- 1/2 bar of milk chocolate
- 2 vanilla beans
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- Place all the ingredients in a heavy based saucepan, heating gently on a very low heat.
- Start to slowly stir all the ingredients for around 3-4 minutes until the chocolate has melted.
- Now remove the vanilla beans and cinnamon and with a balloon whisk, whisk vigorously taking care not to burn yourself.
- Let it boil for 2 minutes.
- A neat trick I have to encourage a nice head of creamy froth is to pop the hot chocolate into my blender and whizz for it 30 seconds.
- Pour into your favorite mug; add the cinnamon stick and two vanilla bean for decoration.
- Drink in absolute heavenly silence…