Caramel is one of those flavours we wish we could add to every meal but nothing tastes better than a flavourful mix of savoury and sweet. You might not be able to drizzle our simple caramel sauce on your lunch sandwich but you can add it to your favourite breakfast dishes to give them a huge kick in flavour. Tired of plain old butter on toast? Spread a thin layer of caramel sauce on it. Run out of maple syrup? Skip that quick trip to the grocery store and warm up your homemade caramel sauce then pour it generously all over your waffles. The options are endless but we’ve narrowed it down to these 3 simple caramel breakfast recipes that we know you will love.
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup of caramel sauce
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whisk together milk and warm caramel sauce in a large bowl.
- Add in next 3 ingredients then mix until fully combined.
- Sift in flour and mix just until it is incorporated.
- Pour about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto a hot buttered large nonstick skillet.
- Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look dry and cooked.
- Turn and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until done.
- Serve with more caramel syrup or chocolate syrup. Garnish with fruits and powdered sugar then enjoy.
Caramel French Toast
- 3 slices white bakery bread (1 inch thick), halved
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Warm caramel sauce and pour it into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with butter. Arrange bread over caramel.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, vanilla, cinnamon and salt then pour over the bread. Cover and refrigerate for an hour or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Caramel Overnight Oats
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1/4 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond/soy/coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon of caramel sauce
- In a jar or resealable container, place a layer of oats followed by chia seeds, yoghurt, caramel sauce then milk.
- Refrigerate overnight then take out when ready to eat.