We love Kenyan food and there are some things that are classically Kenyan. Kachumbari is a staple in everyone’s meals and regardless of how many times a week you eat it, we can comfortably assume that you have never tried it with cheese from Cheese Love Kenya. Besides the wide range and great taste, the cheeses from Cheese Love Kenya are so affordable that you never have to worry about saving up just to get some good gouda. Try out this simple recipe that combines two unsuspecting favourites for a quick meal that just might become a regular snack.
- 4 slices Cheese Love Burger Cheese (Cheddar)
- 1 kg Potatoes cut into chips
- Vegetable oil to fry
- 400 grams lean mince meat
- 2 tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tomato
- 1 onion
- 1 avocado (optional)
- 1 lemon (optional)
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan and cook chopped onions.
- Blend tomatoes with garlic and add to pan. Add all spices and tomato paste. Cook 5-7 minutes.
- Add minced meat cook for 10-15 minutes. Add a bit of water so that the meat isn’t dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add sugar to balance the acidity of the tomatoes. Once the meat is cooked and the sauce is thick, remove from heat.
- To make your kachumbari, finely chop the onion and tomato. Season with salt and put in fridge (if adding avocados, chop into cubes and add squeezed lemon to keep it from blackening and mix with the rest of the kachumbari).
- To make your chips, heat vegetable oil in a deep pan. Add potato chips to fry. Once crispy outside and cooked inside, remove and place on a plate covered with kitchen serviettes (this will soak the oil from the fries). Season with salt.
- Cut up the Cheese Love Burger Cheese in smaller pieces and set aside.
- To serve, start with fries at the bottom, then the meat sauce, followed by the cheese and put in oven/microwave for a few minutes so the cheese melts. Top with kachumbari and enjoy!
Click here to see how Jasmine Macharia aka Cooking with Jaz made it during our live stream with Cheese Love Kenya.