No meal is complete without veggies. Apart from dessert that is. Vegetables provide you with nutrients such as fiber which lowers cholesterol levels, vitamins, iron, among other nutrients. The more the vegetables you take, the healthier you are, so you do need vegetables and there are great recipes that create tasty vegetable salads. We have listed them down for you. Try one today!
Mexican Cucumber and Carrot Salad
This salad can do wonders for you on a lazy afternoon. It is very easy to whip up the night before and leave it refrigerated ready for the next day.
- 1 Cucumber, Sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) package baby carrots
- lime, juiced
- teaspoon chili powder
- /4 teaspoon salt
Combine the cucumber, baby carrots, lime juice, chili powder, salt, and cayenne pepper in a bowl; toss to combine evenly.
Tomatoes, Olives and Onions Salad
The best thing about this salad, is it can be used both as a side dish and as a snack. The riper the tomatoes, the better.
Recipe: Kiplagat Leting
- 3 tomatoes,
- 1 red onion &
- A handful of black olives
- Black Pepper
- Basil Oil
- Cut each tomato into eight wedges.
- Finely slice the onion.
- Slice the olives or you can choose to keep them whole
- In a bowl combine two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil & two tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. Season generously with salt & freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the tomatoes, onion & olives into the bowl. Combine all ingredients well, then leave it to stand for about 20 minutes to let the flavors mingle.
- To serve: Stack tomatoes on a plate, spoon onions & olives, in and around the stack.
- Drizzle basil oil over the salad, for extra flavour & colour.
Sweet and Sour Tomato Salad
This salad is delicious and can compliment any meal.
- 7 Tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Healthy fruit salad
Just like vegetables, fruits should be an essential part of your daily meals and a fruit salad is something you can carry to work. The fact that they have fewer calories than other foods make them even healthier. Furthermore, fruits provide the body with essential vitamins and help with great skin.
- 1 mango
- Half slice of pawpaw
- Half slice of pineapple
- 1 beetroot
- 3 bananas
- 1 avocado
- Quarter slice of water melon
- Peel and cut all the fruits except the beetroot into small chunks and mix together in a large bowl.
- Grate the beetroot into the bowl and mix evenly.
This simple salad will benefit you with not only a great lunch or snack, but lots of minerals and nutrients, beneficial to your skin and general health.
- Avocado (tiny pieces)
- Green/red Bell pepper
- Grated carrot
- Chop and mix them all up in a bowl
- Pack to carry