The main reason we get these cravings is because our insulin levels are high and when they start to fall we want sugar to push them back up. This vicious cycle leaves us feeling tired and fatigued.
Here’s some great advice on how to kill these cravings and have you feeling healthy and energetic again:
1) Increase your protein intake: We tend to feel like we want sugar when what we really need is protein. Try a boiled egg of something else that is high in protein.
2) Remove the temptations: If you don’t have sweets around your home it is easier to resist the urge to indulge. Do what you can to remove the temptations BEFORE the craving hits. Replace the sweets with healthy snack options.
3) Eat Frequently: These cravings are usually worse when we have skipped a meal or had a dip in blood sugar. Eating 3 meals a day with a healthy snack in between them helps you feel good without getting hungry.
4) Stay away from artificial sweeteners: Saccharin and Aspartame are examples of sweeteners that cause more cravings for sweets, they also increase your risks of cancer.
5) Completely cut out the sweets then indulge in small amounts: Due to your insulin levels usually being high the first three days will be the hardest. Completely eliminating sweets until your insulin has come down will mean that you won’t crave them like you did. Once you reach that stage you can let yourself indulge in small portions.