Carrot Cake never goes out of style and one bite will tell you why. This rich and moist spice cake, full of grated carrot and toasted nuts, has great flavor, especially when covered with a tangy and sweet cream cheese frosting. The interesting part is that while those pretty orange flecks of grated carrot give the Carrot Cake color and texture, along with sweetness and moisture, its’ flavor is almost indistinguishable.
1 1/2 cups (300 grams) granulated white sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup (240 ml) sunflower, vegetable or canola oil(or other flavorless oil)
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
340 grams raw carrots finely grated (about 2 1/2 cups)
1 cup (100 grams)pecans, walnuts or available nuts(Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F Gas mark 4. Grease the bottom of a suitable baking tray and line with a greasefroof paper.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and ground cinnamon whisk and set aside.
- Break your eggs and whisk till foamy for about 1-2 minutes. Gradually add the sugar while whisking till pale in colour and thick. It should take about 3-4 minutes depending on how fast you whisk.
- When thick and pale, add the oil in a steady flow while whisking(as you would do mayonnaise). Add the Vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture into the egg mixture and fold in the flour till fully mixed.
- Add the grated carrots and mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or till cake has browned and knife inserted into cake comes out dry.
- Allow to cool slightly on the tray before transfering to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Divide cake to desired sizes and sprinkle with icing sugar before serving(optional)
For a pictorial guide of how to make this cake and other recipes and tips, visit my page www.facebook.com/chefraphael and discover the ‘chef’ in you.