A perfect for meal for a whole family setting, this is a freezable pie which makes a great meal for toddlers, teens and adults alike. The beef stew with sweet potato topping also has plenty of hidden vegetables in it! Looking for a dinner time meal? Here you go!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 finely diced carrots (about 130g)
- 1-2 of finely diced celery (about 130g)
- 2 fat cloves garlic, crushed
- 400-500g braising steak
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 low-salt beef stock cube
- 2 tbsp tomato mash
- 1 x 25g pack coriander, stalks and leaves finely chopped separately
- 1kg of diced sweet potatoes
- Knob of butter
- Handful grated cheddar
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy pan. Add the onions and cook for 2 mins, then add the carrot, celery and cook until softened.
- Add the braised steak and cook until caramel-brown, then stir in the garlic and cinnamon and cook for at least 1 – 2 mins until the aromas are released.
- Add the stock cube to 500ml boiling water and stir into the meat, along with the tomato mash and Coriander stalks. Boil and simmer for 1 hour, take off the lid and simmer again for another hour or until the meat is very tender. Stir in the chopped Coriander leaves.
- Transfer the stew into a medium-sized serving dish (that would be big enough for four persons).
- Meanwhile, steam or boil the sweet potatoes until tender. Preheat the oven to 200C/ 180C. Drain the potatoes well and mash with the butter. Spoon it on top of the meat, sprinkle with the cheese and cook on the top shelf for about 20 minutes until golden and bubbling.