This simple and delicious meal takes a basic tomato sauce to the next level with a splash of your favourite white wine. The
texture and flavour of the dish is also enhanced with smoky bacon, savoury olives and earthy mushrooms.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.35kg chicken legs
- 6 rashers streaky bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 70g fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 12 black olives, pitted
- 250ml white wine
- 450g tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 chopped spring onion for garnish
- Preheat oven to 170 °C. Heat oil in a large frying pan; brown chicken; remove.
- Add bacon and sauté over medium heat for about 2 minutes.
- Add onions and mushrooms and continue to sauté until onions are translucent.
- Return chicken to frying pan; sprinkle with parsley, basil, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Add wine, olives and tomatoes.
- Transfer all contents of pan to an ovenproof casserole dish.
- Cover dish with foil and place in top third of oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes, turning chicken once during cooking.
- Remove foil, sprinkle with yellow bell peppers and allow chicken to brown under direct oven heat for about 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven, garnish with spring onions and serve.