Mac ‘n’ Cheese, such a beloved meal! You can enjoy it as a comfort food on the weekend, for lunch, dinner or even as you’re watching a great movie. The recipe for this mac n’ cheese will deliver a creamy mac ‘n’ cheese that you’ll enjoy.
- Macaroni pasta
- 1 pound 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups Jack, Colby Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups organic whole milk
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- One layer of white onion for a yummier taste
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (lets make this cheesier!)
- Optional extras (cook before adding): onions, peas, mushrooms
- Cook the pasta. Bring salt water to a boil over high heat in a large pot until the pasta is softer. Drain and set aside.
- Warm the milk. Place 1 cup of the milk in a saucepan over medium heat until warm. Meanwhile, place the remaining half-cup until later.
- Make the cheese sauce. Turn the heat to low and begin by adding the butter. Simmer for a bit and add the onion. Add in the flour and use a whisk to constantly stir. The flour will turn in to a paste. Keep on stirring whilst slowly adding the warm milk. The sauce will begin to thicken. Add in the salt, mustard and nutritional yeast. You can now add 2 cups of the cheese. Stir until all the cheese has melted and the sauce is creamy. Taste and adjust the seasonings as desired. You can now remove the sauce from the heat. You want your sauce to be thick to achieve a good consistency for a mac and cheese. If too thick then add the remaining milk.
- Combine the pasta and cheese sauce. Place the pasta in the sauce. Stir to coat the pasta evenly. Serve the mac and cheese immediately while still warm and add the remaining half cup of cheese!