Christmas White Forest Cake Recipe
Ingredients for the sponge cake:
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs at room temperature
3 egg yolks at room temperature
2 Tbs Sunflower oil
1/4 cup milk
For the filling:
2 cups (500 ml) whipping cream
1 Tbs sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 Tbs condensed milk
3/4 cup cherry jam with fruits
5 Tbs of Kirsch (Cherry Liqueur)
100g white chocolate bar
For the decoration:
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
mulberries (or raspberries)
passion fruit leaves
- Preheat the oven to 170C/350F
- Brush with oil a 9-inch spring fold cake pan and sprinkle with flour.
- Make the sponge cake: Place the eggs, egg yolks, sugar vanilla and salt in a large bowl and beat until the mixture turns pale and thick, about 4-5 minutes.
- Scald the milk and oil in a small pot until hot but not boiling.
- Sift the flower and baking powder over the egg mixture in three badges by gently folding in every badge with a spatula.
- Once all the flour has been added, slowly pour in the scalded milk, while folding it in with a spatula.
- our the batter in the cake pan and bake for 20-22 minutes or until cooked through.
- Prepare the cherry sauce by whisking together the cherry jam and 5 Tbs of Kirsch.
- Melt the white chocolate with 2 Tbs of the cream in a small non stick pot over gentle heat.
- Whip the remaining cream with 1 Tbs of sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- Assemble the cake: Remove the spring fold and very carefully cut the sponge cake but running a sharp bread knife trough the middle.
- lace the upper layer in a cake stand and drizzle 2 Tbs of the condensed milk over it. Then spread 1/2 of the cherry sauce on top and cover with 1/3 of the whipped cream.
- Place the second layer of the sponge cake over the first one and drizzle the remaining condensed milk. Spread the rest of the cherry sauce over it. Gently cover with the melted chocolate. Then using a spatula, cover the entire cake with the rest of the whipped cream.
- Sprinkle the entire with an even layer of desiccated coconut to give it a finished look. Decorate with candied cherries, mulberries, silver dragees and holly or passion fruit leaves. To achieve the frosted effect, dust with icing sugar.
This is a truly decadent dessert which looks, tastes and even sounds like Christmas. It consists of heavenly soft sponge cake infused with a white chocolate, cherries and cream. You can make it on the day before your Christmas party and refrigerate it, this would allow the favors to develop and combine. Set your imagination free while decorating the it, and let this succulent cake be your Christmas gift for friend and family.