It’s a new month and that time again for us to focus on our recipe of the month. Wondering why I chose to make coffee and banana overnight oats? It’s International Coffee Day and thus we are paying homage to this age-old fine beverage with a wonderful recipe that you can quickly make in the morning. Shop for all your ingredients at Greenspoon.
- 35g mixed seeds (linseed, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seed)
- 120g rolled oats
- 500ml milk or mylk
- 75g almonds, roasted and chopped
- 30g sultanas or raisins
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 80ml Spring Valley espresso or medium roast coffee, brewed
- Sliced banana and Olkerii chia seeds
- Place the mixed seeds, oats, milk or mylk, almonds, sultanas and honey in a large bowl and stir well to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight. Add extra almond milk to loosen the mixture. Divide between bowls.
- Make your coffee – start by pouring hot water into the French Press to warm it up. Then boil the water, and allow it to get to 86°C before stirring in 2 tbsp of coffee grounds. Give it a good stir and then wait for 4 minutes before pressing down the filter.
- Cut the bananas lengthwise and fry for a short period in butter, to soften. Top the oat mixture with the extra roasted almonds, extra honey, fried bananas and chia seeds, and pour the coffee over to serve. Ensure there is a cup of coffee alongside to get the extra caffeine kick!