What was your score on our rice quiz? We’ve been having a monthly obsession and this month is no different. Well, the food we’re obsessing over is different; rice. Coconut rice, popularly known as wali wa nazi locally is a simple delicacy to make at home. September is ‘take a man on a month’ date but if you don’t feel like taking them out, cooking them coconut rice is a simpler alternative.
Coconut rice can be served with a simple salad, potato curry or sesame fish. There are those who if you try wali wa nazi you’ll never want to go back to plain rice and it’s true, we agree with them fully. Your tastebuds will thank you for this. The recipe is super easy!
Coconut rice/Wali wa Nazi
- 2 cups of rice
- 2 cups of coconut milk (Available at Jumia or Naivas)
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- In a saucepan, add the water, salt and coconut milk.
- Add the rice and place it on heat and bring it to boil, stirring lightly.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan tightly. You can use foil for the same.
- Cook for about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it stand for about 15 minutes.
- Enjoy with fish or preferred side dish!
For more updates on the best restaurants around, recipes, reviews, nightlife guides and more, follow Yummy Magazine, online and in print!