This rich soup recipe is a perfect comfort food for these cold days. It is quick to make and the creaminess will warm you up from inside.
- 2 tablespoons/30ml olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 12 large tomatoes, chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 piece Parmesan rind, optional
- 1/4 cup/60ml 35-percent cream
- 2 tablespoons/30ml butter
- Salt and pepper
- Grated Parmesan, for serving
- Chopped fresh chives, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions and cook until the onions are translucent about 5 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar and tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes more. Add 1/2 cup water, the thyme and Parmesan. Cook for about 25 minutes.
- Discard the thyme sprigs and Parmesan. Puree the soup in a food processor or with an immersion blender until smooth. Strain through a fine sieve set over a cleaned saucepan. Stir in the cream and butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan and chives.