Curry dishes are such hearty and comforting meals and the best to have this Ramadhan. Families and friends come together during this period and sometimes, you might be unsure about what to prepare that will have enough serving. Fear not, for we have compiled several curry recipes for you to try this Ramadhan. The S&B Curry Sauce Mix used in the ingredients below can be purchased from Zucchini stores.
For the curry sauce
- S&B Golden Curry Sauce Mix 1/2 pack
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 pieces of mushroom, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 800 ml of water
- 800g of cooked rice
- 10g of Parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan.
- Add onion to the pan. Fry gently on a low heat until lightly browned.
- Add mushrooms and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat to cool the mixture for 3 minutes, then break curry sauce mix into pieces and add them to the pan.
- Turn on heat to boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Keep stirring constantly to avoid burning the sauce.
For the Katsu
- Pork loin or chicken thigh (4 thick slices)
- 100 g of all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 200g of breadcrumbs or Panko
- 1500 ml of vegetable oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Season the chicken/pork by dusting with flour and dip into beaten eggs. Coat with breadcrumbs and place into the fridge for 15 minutes to set.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil to 170 degrees. Drop a few breadcrumbs/panko into the oil to check if the temperature is correct. (The panko should float to surface and sizzle).
- Fry the cutlets for 6-8 minutes depending on the thickness of the meat. Turn the cutlets over a few times in the oil until golden and drain well.
To serve, put the cooked rice on a plate, top with the Katsu, then pour curry sauce over. Garnish with parsley, add salt and black pepper.
Onion Gratin Curry
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 pieces of sliced baguette
- 2 tablespoons of Bouillon powder
- 60g of shredded cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon of grated garlic
- 650ml of water
- 55 g (1/4 pack) of S&B Golden Curry
- 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- Toast the baguette well.
- Put the oil and grated garlic in a pan and stir-fry then add onion until onions turn brown.
- Add water and bouillon powder and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat, add the S&B Golden Curry and mix well.
- Turn on the heat, keep stirring until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Put the mixture into an oven-proof bowl and top it with toasted baguette and cheese.
- Cook in the oven at high temperatures until cheese is brown and garnish with parsley to serve.
- 110 g (1/2 pack) of S&B Golden Curry Sauce Mix
- 250 g of beef, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 pieces of green onion, finely sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 8 tablespoons of mushrooms, finely sliced
- 1300 ml of soup stock
- 6 packs of cooked Udon
- 2 pieces of red pepper, sliced
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan, add the onion and fry gently on low heat until lightly browned.
- Add the beef and mushrooms and fry for 3 minutes until browned.
- Add 1300 ml of soup stock and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes until the beef is tender. Skim any surface scum.
- Remove from heat and cool for 3 minutes then add the curry sauce mix in pieces.
- Bring back to boil, add soy sauce, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir constantly to avoid burning the sauce.
- Serve the Udon with the curry in a bowl, garnished with green onions.
*You can buy Udon noodles from Jumia.
For more updates on the best restaurants around, recipes, reviews, nightlife guides and more, follow Yummy Magazine, online and in print!