Easy Pumpkin Chapati Recipe
1/2kg diced pumpkin
3 cups flour
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (Optional)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil for the dough
1 cup warm water
Salt to taste
- Boil the pumpkin adding salt to taste until it is tender and easy to mash
- Puree the pumpkin in a blender or simply use a fork to mash the pumpkin
- Using your clean hands mix the flour, salt, the pumpkin puree, turmeric powder(optional) and cooking oil in a bowl kneading at the same time. Add water if required and continue kneading until you have a smooth dough.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Knead the flour well again and divide it into balls. Dust the balls with some flour to avoid sticking on the surface. Flatten each ball and roll out thinly into sizeable circles.
- Heat an ungreased, heavy skillet or griddle over a medium flame. Lightly grease the pan and slowly heat the first chapati. Cook on one side for about 1 minute or until lightly brown, then flip and cook the other side. Press the sides of the chapati with a spoon until it puffs.
- Remove the chapati and place it in a warm dish or foil paper and wrap it to keep it warm. Repeat this process for every chapati.
Serve hot with meat stew and/or cooked vegetables. Chapatis can also be served with hot milk or chai (tea).