I’m not the biggest chocolate fan. I would love to be, but my sensitive teeth haven’t allowed me yet. My sister, however, could survive on a chocolate diet and I know there are lots more like her. Besides the fact that we know chocolate comes from cocoa and that women have a unique bond with it, there are some pretty interesting facts about chocolate that we haven’t paid attention to. Better grab your favourite bar and lets get started! If you don’t have one, I know how you can win yourself a Cadbury Bundle this weekend.
1. The smell of chocolate increases theta brain waves which triggers relaxation. Lets put this to test. Smell your chocolate, really hard and see if you’ll feel relaxed. Feeling chilled? That’s chocolate power!
2. White chocolate isn’t technically chocolate as it contains no traces of cocoa solids or cocoa liquor. I knew it all along. I don’t like white chocolate at all. I was going to say that we should ban it but I might have a few claws up my neck.
3. The inventor of the chocolate chip cookie sold the recipe to Nestle Toll House in return for a lifetime supply of chocolate. This is a winner. Imagine all that chocolate! I hope he/she sold it to them while they were still young.
4. Every second, Americans collectively eat 100 pounds of chocolate. I’ll just leave this here before it causes any more problems.
5. Chocolate magnate, Milton Hershey, cancelled his reservations for the Titanic due to last minute business matters. What if he boarded the Titanic? Would there be Hershey’s Kiss?
6. There are potato chips dipped in milk chocolate. I’ve also heard about chocolate covered popcorn! What a weirdly wonderful world we live in!
7. Eating dark chocolate everyday reduces the risk of heart disease by one-third. Who knew it could help take care of your ticker?
8. Chocolate has an anti-bacterial effect on the mouth and helps fight tooth decay. This is new. I can feel your children might use this as a bargaining chip to substitute their toothpaste with chocolate.
9. In 2013, Belgium released limited edition chocolate flavoured stamps. Remember the days people wrote love letters and romance was real? These stamps should have been there back when I was in high school. The love would have been felt for real!
10. The average chocolate bar contains 8 insect parts. Probably not what you wanted to hear. You have probably eaten a locust or two…but who cares? Chocolates are sweet after all.
11. There is a pill that makes farts smell like chocolate! If you think about it, this is really cool. Pop one before at the start of your day, get in a really packed elevator full of stressed people, fart, and since chocolate makes one relax, you’ve cured them from their stress! You’ve saved the day! You probably will have to test this out in a controlled environment before it backfires on you.
More delicious chocolate news below!