When she’s not running around working, or photographing her latest work, Sylvia is a sucker for desserts and if you are too, you’ll love her Lemon Drizzle Cake Recipe.
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 Cup Caster Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Cup Self Raising (Sifted)
- Finely Grated Zest 1 Lemon
Lemon Drizzle Syrup
3 – 4 oz Caster Sugar
Juice of 1 & ½ Lemons
Lemon Drizzle Icing
½ Cup Icing Sugar
¼ Cup Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 150˚C. Beat together softened unsalted butter and caster sugar until pale and creamy, then add 4 eggs, one at a time, slowly mixing through.
- Sift in the flour, then add finely grated zest of 1 lemon and mix until well combined. Be careful not to overmix the batter if you’re using an electric mixer.
- 3. Line a springform cake time with baking paper, then spoon in the mixture and level it out with a spoon.
- 4. Bake for 40-45 mins until a toothpick/skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. While the cake is baking, mix together the juice of 1 1/2 lemons and caster sugar to make the lemon drizzle syrup.
- 5. While the cake is still warm use a toothpick to prick small holes in the cake then spoon over the syrup. The syrup will sink into the cake giving it a lovely moist spongy texture. Leave it in the tin to cool. (If you’re not in a rush leave it overnight before you ice it for more flavour.
- 6. Sift the icing sugar into a medium bowl and add the lemon juice, stirring until smooth. Remove the cake from the tin, Using a spoon drizzle the icing mixture over the cake pouring some over the edges for the ‘drizzle’ effect.
Let it set for 10 mins before you serve.
Keep refrigerated for 4-5 days.