This is a simple and straight forward recipe that yields delicious fluffy pancakes. Buttermilk is basically milk that has a high acidic content which is thick and viscous. The acidity in the milk reacts with the rising agent(baking powder) in the pancake mix to form C02 which causes the pancake to be rise and be extra fluffy.
1 cup Buttermilk(To make buttermilk add 1 tbsp of lemon juice to 1 cup of milk and wait for about 10min to allow it to be thick)
1/8 cup(35g) Sugar
1 cup(140g) Self Raising Flour
(When using Plain flour, add 1/2 tsp baking powder/baking soda)
2-3 Tbsp Oil
- Beat the buttermilk, eggs and the sugar.
- Then add the flour and whisk til fully mixed. It should be thick.
- Lastly add the oil and completely mix. The oil helps when cooking to prevent the pancake from sticking to the pan.
- Heat your pan over medium heat and add add little oil as you spread it out on the pan. Pour the pancake mix using a small laddle and fill the pan, not too much though or the pancake will be too thick.
- Cook for about 2 minutes or until it turns brown and the top has small holes formed.
- Turn to cook second side for about 2 minutes or until browned. The heat should be medium all along. Place on a plate when cooked.
- Repeat the process til all the the pancake mix is done.
- When serving, serve with a drizzle of honey or mapple syrup(where availble) and some whipped cream and strawberries. You can also make it more interesting by adding chocolate shavings or sauce.
The beauty of this recipe and pancake is that you can control the sugar level as you have the option of sweetening them with natural honey which makes this good for you who can’t have sugar.
The more mix you add when cooking the thicker the pancake will be and the longer it takes to cook.
For recipes and how to guides on various dishes including this one, LIKE my page www.facebook.com/chefraphael and discover your inner chef. “BE WARNED,THE PAGE IS VERY ADDICTIVE AND DELICIOUS!”
Follow me on twitter @chefraphaelkn