If someone makes you lasagna, they must really love you or they need to address their craving issues. Making a good lasagna requires patience, love and a bottle of wine. Slow cooked bolognese sauce, creamy bechamel, lots of cheese and freshly made pasta (even if you use store bought it’s practically still authentic). What’s not to love about that! Perfect for family dinners, brunches or that special date at home.
Prep Time 10 | Mins Cook Time 40-50 Mins | Temp 180˚C
- 125g Pork Mince
- 500g Beef Mince
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Carrot, Peeled And Grated
- 1 White Onion, Finely Chopped
- 2 Celery Stalk, Diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Purée
- 100ml Dry White Wine
- 800g Tinned Chopped Tomatoes
- 500ml Chicken Stock *Optional
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 250g Pack Fresh Lasagne Sheets
- 150g Parmesan
- 250g Cheddar
- 1 ½ Mozzarella balls, Thinly Sliced
- ½ Tsp Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- Fresh Parsley to garnish
The Bechamel Sauce
- 100gms Butter
- 100gms Flour
- 1ltr Milk
- Salt & Pepper
- 50g Cheddar Cheese Grated
- In a large pot over medium flame, heat olive oil & butter then add in minced pork and beef. Use a spoon to break up the meat into smaller chunks. Cook for 15 mins until meat is well browned, stirring constantly.
- Add in the celery, onion, carrots, garlic and tomato paste then cook for a further 3-5 mins. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and dried oregano. Deglaze the pan with 100ml white wine. Pour in tinned tomatoes, chicken stock and 1 bay leaf. Stir well and bring to a simmer then reduce heat to low and simmer 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime make the bechamel sauce: In a medium saucepan melt butter over medium-low heat then add in flour and mix into a smooth paste. Cook the mixture for a minute or so stirring continuously. Pour in a little of the milk at a time, stirring continuously until you have a smooth, slightly thick sauce. Then add the remaining milk and continue to whisk. Remove from the heat. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add back onto the heat and keep whisking. Once the sauce is thicker, mix in the cheddar until combined. Set aside to cool.
- Assemble lasagna in a 13 x 9 x 3-inch baking dish: Start with a layer of bechamel sauce in the bottom of the dish. Place 4 lasagna sheets on top. Add about 1 cup of meat sauce spreading evenly. Sprinkle with about a handful grated cheddar, parmesan, and a few mozzarella slices.
- Repeat the layering process two more times to create three complete layers. For the final layer, pour a cup of meat sauce to cover the pasta, top with remaining white sauce followed by parmesan cheddar and a good helping of mozzarella. Cover loosely with aluminium foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 25 minutes to allow cheese to brown. Once cooked let it cool out of the oven for 10 mins before serving.