Salads are one of the most refreshing items you can enjoy. The good thing with most salads is that fruits are part of the ingredients which means that you’re already getting your dose of healthy vitamins and nutrients. I’ve been creative with salads and this roasted beet orange and fennel salad is one of my faves.
This roasted beet orange and fennel recipe is ‘what you see is what you get’ kind of salad. Just as beautiful as it looks, it tastes just as delicious. It works for all seasons; be it summer or winter and it goes perfectly with a simple mustard vinaigrette or a cumin yoghurt dressing.
- 2 peeled and thinly sliced beetroots
- 1 medium fennel bulb, sliced
- 1 sliced orange
- a handful of pomegranate for garnish
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat your oven to 150 degrees.
- Place the sliced beets, fennel and citrus on a baking sheet and drizzle with little olive oil.
- Season with salt and roast in the oven for 30 mins until the beets are soft and tender and the fennel and oranges are slightly grown. Make sure to rotate the vegetables about halfway through the cooking time.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
- While the vegetables are cooling mix the vinaigrette in a small bowl by whisking together the honey, mustard and vinegar and then slowly drizzling in the olive oil until the dressing is emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Salad can be served warm or served cold. Serve with pomegranate.