When it comes to cooking and food preparation, the ingredients you use matter but consideration should also be made in your choice os appliances and equipment used.
I recently came up with this home made basil pesto recipe that I hope you will enjoy. It goes well as a spread on toasted bread or in a sandwich or even to make a pasta dish.
For this recipe, you will need to have a blender, food processor or a stick blender like the Kenwood HB724
The best thing about this machine is the the different functions from the the different attachments which include a whisk, a potato masher and soup blender and even a chopper.
50g Nuts(you can use toasted peanuts, cashew nuts or macadamia but the best results are from pine nuts)
1 bunch(50g) Basil leaves-Stalks removed
25g Parmesan Cheese(grated/chopped small when using a block)
100ml Olive oil
When you have done it several times and are sure of your measurements, you could also add all the ingredients into the blender and process into a paste, taking care you do not put too much oil than necessary.
1. The original recipe calls for pine nuts however I found if you use another nut type it may still work. When using peanuts, make sure you remove the husks before use.
2. Too much cheese will give you problems especially when cooking as the cheese will melt into the food unevenly.
3. The oil used when blending should be just enough to ensure the cheese is blended into the basil paste. Too much oil will make the pesto oily and not so pleasant.
4. Use in several ways including as a bread spread.
5. Parmesan cheese is the only cheese that you can use to get the desired results owing to its taste and composition
For recipes and how to guides on various dishes including this one, LIKE my page www.facebook.com/chefraphael and discover your inner chef. “BE WARNED,THE PAGE IS VERY ADDICTIVE AND DELICIOUS!”
Email me: firstname.lastname@example.org to get details of my cooing classes and more
Follow me on twitter @chefraphaelkn