Fish fingers make a nice snack at home and are simple to make when you get to know how. You can make them in advance and just fry them when you are ready to eat. When making them have your kids to help or do it with another person to make it an easier and fast process.
1/2kg Fish fillet cut into strips
Soy Sauce/salt(Either one,but not both at the same time)
Black Pepper(freshly ground)
1/2 cup Plain Flour
1 Beaten Egg+1/2 cup milk(Egg Wash)
Oil for deep frying
- Pour lemon juice, soy sauce and ground pepper to the fish strips to marinate for a max. of 30 minutes. The longer you leave to marinade the more the fish will ‘cook’ because of the lemon juice which makes the fish very soft to work with.
- While the fish is marinating, set up the sequence of how to coat the fish fingers. Flour->Egg wash->Bread crumbs
- When the fish is marinated, dip into the flour, dust and remove then into the the egg wash. Make sure the fish is completely covered before finally dipping the wet fish fingers to the bread crumbs. Make sure the fish is coated entirely by the bread crumbs. Gently squeeze and rub the fish into the bread crumbs to ensure the bread crumbs stick to the fish. Set the ready fish on to a dry plate.
- Repeat the whole procedure for all the cut fish. When bread crumbed, the fish fingers can be frozen and used on a later day.
- Heat the oil in a suitable large pot and when hot slowly dip the fish fingers one by one. Do not overfill. To test the heat of the oil, cook a small piece of bread, if it starts to brown within seconds, its ready.
Cook the fish fingers till they are golden brown. It should take about 3-4 minutes if the oil is at the right temperature and not overloaded by placing alot of the fish in the oil.
- When cooking more after the first batch, allow the oil to become hot again before adding more into the oil.
- Place the cooked fish fingers on a paper towel to drain and absorb any oil.
Serve hot with Tartare sauce and a lemon wedge.
Lemon Juice from 1/2 lemon
Mix all the ingredients together into a small bowl then taste and adjust the seasoning.
For a pictorial guide on how to go about it click here
For recipes and how to guides on various dishes including this one, LIKE my page www.facebook.com/chefraphael and discover your inner chef. “BE WARNED,THE PAGE IS VERY ADDICTIVE AND DELICIOUS!”
Follow me on twitter @chefraphaelkn