Tatiana Karanja, 24, is part of the new wave of young and talented Kenyan photographers out to capture beautiful images of the world around them.
How do you prefer to take your coffee?
I like it strong with a bit of almond milk. On days when I have none, I just use regular milk.
I can’t get enough of anything sweet but if I have to chose on the spot, I would go for either mille-feuille or a chocolate croissant.
How many cups of coffee do you have in a day?
I have just one cup on most days.
What’s your morning routine?
Morning routine, what is that? (laughs). No day is ever like the next because I freelance and therefore get to set my own hours, except when I have a project.
What’s the best thing about being a photographer?
I really enjoy getting to travel and meeting different types of people on the job.
Favourite subject to shoot?
That would be landscapes, hands down!
Favourite shoot you’ve done this year?
My favourite shoot this year has to be when I recently went to Lamu on a girls trip courtesy of Visiter l’Afrique. We got to share our journey on social media and had so much fun indulging in delicious food, meeting great people and trying out water sports- even though I had a broken leg and it was on a cast the whole time!
MOCHA OATMEAL COOKIES
- 6 tbsp butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup quick oats
- 2 tbsp instant coffee dissolved in 2 tsp boiling water
- In a bowl, sift flour with salt and baking soda and keep aside.
- In a different bowl, beat the butter with sugar then add vanilla, egg and coffee.
- Add the flour mixture and combine, then add the oats and continue mixing.
- Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.
Take a heaping teaspoon from the dough and place on the baking sheet.
- Wet your fingers with cold water and press the cookies down.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 10 minutes, but if you like your cookies a little crispy, bake for 12 minutes.
- Once the cookies are cool, enjoy with a cup of Dormans Espresso coffee.