It sure is going to be a sunny month. I’m not complaining. It’s the perfect excuse to indulge in ice cream sandwich. It’s a delicious treat, great for summer and incredibly easy to make. Of course, fair warning, once you make this you won’t want to stop. You can shop for all the ingredients on Greenspoon. Let’s make it!
- 1 cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- 2 cups Brown’s unsalted butter, soft but slightly cooler than room temperature
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice zest of 2 lemons
- 200g cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tub Delia’s Raspberry Sorbet or Delia’s strawberry Ice-cream
- Spread the dessicated coconut on a baking tray and bake in a 200°C oven for about 5 minutes or until golden. In the bowl of a standing mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the salt, egg yolk and lemon juice. Beat in half the flour, then add the coconut and lemon zest, and finally the last lot of flour. Don’t overbeat but make sure it’s come together before removing and allowing to rest in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. Then roll out into about 6mm thickness, and cut into 2 inch round cookies.
- Return to the fridge and then bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool completely. To assemble, allow the ice-cream or sorbet to soften slightly, then scoop out a spoonful and place on top of a cookie (the flat side). Sandwich with another one on top and then return to the freezer until you are ready to serve!
Pair this tasty ice cream sandwich with a glass of Clearwater Cove Rosé for a wonderful treat. The wine is available from Dion Wines and Spirits.