The cold has crept in and that means we’re all searching for food that warms us from the inside in. Banana season is all year round in Nairobi and that means you’ve got to do more than make banana bread and smoothies with it. Before you turn away and say that this is too unhealthy, let us remind you that bananas are full of potassium and the number of calories in this delicious snack is less than the calories in a samosa. To make these even tastier, serve hot with a generous dollop of whipped cream or custard.
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 to 4 regular bananas
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons dry shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/3 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- Place oil to a depth of 3/4 to 1-inch into a frying pan and heat.
- In the meantime, slice the bananas in half lengthwise then cut them in half again.
- In a bowl, place half of the all-purpose flour, cornstarch, salt, and half of the shredded coconut and stir to combine.
- In a separate cup, mix together cold water with baking soda and pour into the bowl with flour mixture.
- Keep the remaining flour and shredded coconut in a separate bowl.
- Dip banana pieces first in the batter, then gently dredge them in the flour-coconut mixture.
- Fry the bananas in small batches (2 -3 at a time). Serve warm.