Put your patriotism to the test by baking these tasty Kenyan-themed carrot cupcakes this Jamhuri Day! Whether you see Jamhuri Day as a time to celebrate the country’s independence or beautiful culture, nothing says I Love My Land better than some baked goods made with love. Share these with friends, family or pig out all by yourself.
Set oven to 180 degrees || Makes 12.
1/2 cup oil or 100g softened butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 eggs (small)
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups grated carrots
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice or just nutmeg
pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
Method (so quick, so easy!):
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar, eggs and oil/butter until smooth
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, cinnamon, all spice and baking powder.
- Gradually pour dry ingredients into large bowl with wet ingredients, stir whilst pouring.
- Add carrots and small bit of milk and mix till smooth
- If it’s too wet, add a bit of flour. If it’s too thick, add a bit more milk.
- Spray cupcake tray with non-stick, or rub butter in each “tin”. Lay cupcake shells inside.
- Take a big soup spoon and lather a dollop of mixture into each cupcake shell. Make sure you put enough so that your cupcakes aren’t too shallow.
- Place in oven for 18 – 24 minutes.
To check if they are ready, place a toothpick in each one, if it comes out clean and drym your cupcakes are ready. If the toothpick comes out with small wet clumps of mixture, put the tray back in the oven for a few more minutes.
Remove from oven, let cool and decorate with as much love as you have for this beautiful country!