What do you do for a living?
I am the Director of the Italian Institute of Culture in Nairobi. I started this job in April 2015 prior to which the Institute didn’t have a director.
What is your morning routine?
I want to be at the office by 8:00AM so I wake up at 5:30AM and have a cup of coffee in bed using the electric coffee maker by my bedside. Early morning is the perfect time for creativity so I read or write till around 6:30AM. Then I get up and make breakfast for my husband and myself and I’ll usually leave my house by 7:45AM.
How many coffees do you have in a day?
Until about a month ago I was having six or seven coffees a day! Now I have one coffee in the morning, one during the day, then decaf or (sadly) green tea for the rest of the day due to health reasons.
What’s your favourite way to have your coffee?
My favourite way to have coffee is in a black espresso.
What’s the best part of your job?
I love when I get to prepare an exhibition. I try to have special kinds of exhibitions which combine local art with learning Italian History of art. For example for the first exhibition we put together some works of Longinos Langina, a very talented Kenyan artist, who had sculptures using the theme of halos. We put those together with Italian art that used the same theme of the halo to show the history and the meaning of these very old symbols.
Tell us a bit about the history of Italian coffee culture
In Italy we don’t have native coffee plants but we did have brave and curious voyagers who brought coffee to Italy. The first coffee as we know it was made in Naples where the first coffee machine was invented.
Mocha Spiced Coffee Recipe
- 1/2 cup ground coffee
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup light chocolate syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Place ground coffee, cinnamon and nutmeg in a coffee filter/ coffee maker.
- Add 5 cups of water and brew according to specifications
- Combine milk, sugar, and syrup in a heavy saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Stir in brewed coffee and vanilla.
- Serve with whipped cream, if desired. Serve immediately.