Why Choice of Location:
Lake Naivasha was the perfect location for this episode due to the fact it has both a good population of the Louisiana crayfish we were after, but also provided a
beautiful back drop for the episode featuring Mt Longonot and the rift valley . It’s also the only region in the country producing quality wine and for this reason it gave us all the components needed to complete the content rich episode.
Highlights of the episode:
One of the highlights of the episode was definitely the absolutely beautiful conditions we experienced on the lake the day we shot . It provided a perfect canvas to showcase the crayfish industry on the lake. This was further enhanced by the fact we had a very successful fishing trip and got a large amount of crayfish.
Things to look out for:
The sequence in the vineyard was an eye opening experience being shown around and taken through the tricky process of making wine. It was all topped off with trying some of the delicious Leleshwa wine.
Recipe from the Show
Linguine of Crayfish with white wine, garlic and parsley
1kg crayfish tails, out of shell
1 pkt of linguine pasta
1 bunch chopped spring onions
4 cloves crushed garlic
1 bottle white wine
500ml double cream
1 bunch chopped fresh parsley
zest of 1 lemon
4 tbsp. parmesan cheese
1. Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until ¾ cooked and set aside. Make sure you toss it through some oil so it does not stick
2. Add the butter to a frying pan
3. Add the spring onions and garlic and fry till they start to brown
4. Throw in the crayfish tails and sauté
5. Add 1 cup of the white wine and the cream and reduce till a nice sauce has formed.
6. Put the pasta back into the boiling water for 2 mins, and strain.
7. Add the parsley and lemon zest to the crayfish and toss through the pasta
8. Top with the Parmesan cheese and serve.