The social media has been set ablaze by the fact Oscar Award Winning Actress, Lupita Nyong’o doesn’t know how to cook Kenya’s staple food Ugali. My first reaction when I first saw the interview she recently did with NTV I was like ” Oh my word! How come? I have known how to cook ugali since I was 15 years how come she doesn’t know how to prepare one?”
“I miss ugali a lot, because I also don’t know how to cook ugali… Yeah I don’t know how to cook Ugali, I know it’s really, really bad. I have a mwiko but I don’t know how to cook ugali,” she said while being interviewed
Anyway Lupita Nyong’o doesn’t need to worry much about cooking ugali, we have a simple guide on how she can prepare a perfect one to her liking.
- 2 or 4 cups of water, depending on the number of persons you are serving
- 2 cups of maize flour
- Pour water to a saucepan, preferably a hard bottomed one and let it boil.
- Add a handful of the maize flour to the already boiling water.
- Using a cooking stick (Mwiko), stir the mixture so that it forms a porridge-like paste.
- Little by little add the maize flour, and then press it to the sides of the saucepan.
- Continuing doing so for about 5-10 minutes.
- When you start feeling it’s firmness, start making the mixture in round shape by bringing it together on the side of the saucepan.
- Once you have formed the round shape, transfer it to a flat plate/tray by turning the saucepan over on top of the plate/tray.
- You can then cut the ugali into smaller chunks.
- Then serve with either stew or kales