The festive is all fun and sparkly but when you’re in the kitchen, it does get a little tedious. To make your life a little better, we’ve got a fantastic make-ahead recipe for you to make. You can make these pear and apple meatballs prior to your Christmas celebrations and freeze them to be devoured on the big day.
Of course, just like with other recipes, you can go all out and be as creative as possible. Instead of making pear and apple meatballs, you can use different fruits to bring out different flavours and change the perspective of your meal. Are you ready to dive into this? We know you are. You can make these with your kids since most are closed for the holidays and keep them in the fridge. They’ll sure love the work of their hands.
- 8 dried pears, finely chopped
- 8 dried apples, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin and coriander
- 500g minced meat, (you can use minced lamb)
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- Heat olive oil in a pan, add the onions and let them soften for 5 mins. Add the garlic, cumin and coriander and let that cook for a few minutes.
- Spoon half of that mixture, place in a bowl and let it cool.
- Add more seasoning to the mixture in the pan and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the minced meat, breadcrumbs, apples, pears to the cooling mixture, season a bit and mix thoroughly. Form into meatballs.
- Add some oil in a pan and fry the meatballs till they’re golden brown.
- Keep these in the freezer after cooling and serve with pitta bread or salad when you’re enjoying them.