- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons of Merlot Wine
- ¼ cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter, room temp
- 3-4 cups Confectioners’ Sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons Heavy Cream
- Add 1 cup of the merlot and the granulated sugar to a small saucepan over medium-high heat and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer until the mixture has reduced to about 1/3 cup after roughly 25 minutes.
- Allow the red wine reduction to completely cool in the fridge.
- Cream butter until fluffy using an electric mixer.
- Gradually add confectioner’s sugar a half cup at a time, beating until combined.
- Add heavy cream and beat until light and fluffy for about 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly add the cooled Merlot reduction and continue to beat the frosting until smooth.
- Add the last 2 tablespoons of red wine one at a time and beat until smooth.
- Add additional confectioner’s sugar a 1/4 cup at a time if needed to reach desired frosting consistency and sweetness.