Chicken never goes out of style and chicken tikka masala is one of the classics. You can enjoy your chicken with rice or even naan and stew. This is a great way to have fun with your chicken and you don’t have to go out of your way to make this.
This chicken tikka can be prepared as a one-pot meal where you’ll just have all your ingredients in one cooking pot. It saves on time, that’s for sure and yes, as we said, you won’t be forced to clean so many utensils.
1 tablespoon of ground cumin
2 teaspoons of ground coriander
2 teaspoons of garam masala
2 teaspoons of paprika
2 teaspoons of ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs
4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
8 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons of finely grated fresh ginger
1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup of whole milk yoghurt
2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- Combine the cumin, garam masala, paprika, turmeric and cayenne in a small bowl. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and half of the spice mixture.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large frying pan with high sides over medium heat. Cook the chicken until it turns dark brown and fragrant on both sides for about 4 minutes per side and then transfer to the cutting board. The chicken has not yet cooked at this point.
- Wipe the pot and heat the remaining tablespoons of butter in the empty pan over medium heat until it melts. Add in the onions and cook until they soften. Add the remaining spice mixture, garlic and ginger, cook until fragrant for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, water and add 1/4 cup of cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in yoghurt and vinegar. Cut the chicken to 1 1/2 to 2-inch pieces and return to pot. Cover the pot and cook until the chicken is cooked through for about 10-15 minutes.
- You can serve the chicken with rice.
For more updates on the best restaurants around, recipes, reviews, nightlife guides and more, follow Yummy Magazine, online and in print!