The rainy season is back and we all have those cravings for warm and decadently sweet variations of comfort food.
We have a recipe for the perfect rainy season crumble for you; would be great with plums, rhubarb and apples which are all in season right now.Serves 4 people
150g of plain flour
125g of cold unsalted butter cubes.
35g of brown sugar
35g caster sugar
900g of fresh fruit of your choice cut up in chunks or slices
Sprinkling of cinnamon or nutmeg and sugar over fruit depending on your preference
Handful of oats or chopped nuts
1) Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Mix the flour and butter until to the texture of coarse breadcrumbs. Add the sugars and stir in.
2) Sprinkle a little cold water and rake through with a fork until mixture is lumpy and crumbly. Store in the freezer for 10 minutes or in the fridge until you are ready to bake if preparing it in advance.
3) In a separate lightly greased shallow baking dish add your prepared fruit (mix in water, sprinkling of sugar and your preferred spices to them).
4) Arrange the crumble mixture over the fruit without pressing down. Sprinkle the oats or nuts and bake for half an hour until golden and bubbling.
5) Allow to cool slightly and serve with vanilla ice cream or cream.