Hot and sizzling from the fryer and dusted with sugar, nothing beats a homemade doughnut. While not a healthy dessert, a jam doughnut or simple ring doughnut is a wonderful occasional treat!
- 70g (2 1/2 oz) butter
- 500g (1 1/4 lb) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 70g (2 1/2 oz) sugar
- 1 egg
- 260ml (9 fl oz) milk
- vegetable oil for frying
Prep:15min › Cook:5min › Ready in 20min
- Sieve flour and baking powder into a bowl and rub in the butter. Mix in the sugar.
- Beat egg and milk together. Make a well in flour mixture, then and pour in the egg mixture. Mix together to form a soft dough.
- Roll out dough on a well-floured surface to about 1cm (1/2 in) thick and cut to shape of choice. Personally, I use 2 different sized biscuit cutters.
- Fry in hot oil (at approximately 180 degrees C) for 30 seconds, turn over and cook for a further 30 seconds until golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen paper until cool. Roll in sugar or decorate with icing as desired.
For more updates on the best restaurants around, recipes, reviews, nightlife guides and more, follow Yummy Magazine, online and in print!