Hot and sizzling from the fryer and dusted with sugar, nothing beats a homemade doughnut. While not a healthy dessert, a jam doughnut or simple ring doughnut is a wonderful occasional treat!
- 70g (2 1/2 oz) butter
- 500g (1 1/4 lb) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 70g (2 1/2 oz) sugar
- 1 egg
- 260ml (9 fl oz) milk
- vegetable oil for frying
Prep:15min › Cook:5min › Ready in:20min
- Sieve flour and baking powder into a bowl and rub in butter. Mix in the sugar.
- Beat egg and milk together. Make a well in flour mixture, then and pour in the egg mixture. Mix together to form a soft dough.
- Roll out dough on a well floured surface to about 1cm (1/2 in) thick and cut to shape of choice. Personally I use 2 different sized biscuit cutters.
- Fry in hot oil (at approximately 180 degrees C) for 30 seconds, turn over and cook for a further 30 seconds untill golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen paper until cool. Roll in sugar or decorate with icing as desired.