Roasted Vegetable Salad with Blue Cheese and Walnuts Recipe
1 large butternut squash
2 large potatoes
1 large carrot
8 Bruxelles sprouts
8 pickling onions
8 garlic cloves
salt and pepper to taste
3 Tbs of corn oil
1 pack of fresh salad leaves
50g blue cheese like Roquefort or Stilton
For the vinaigrette:
1/3 cup of olive oil
3 Tbs lemon juice
1 Tbs Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
- Preheat the oven to 210C.
- Roast the veggies: Peel the squash, potatoes, carrot and beets and cut them in large cubes, the veggies will shrink while cooking. Spread them over the bottom of a large baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and pepper, drizzle 2 tablespoons of corn oil on top and roast in medium position for 35-40 minutes.
- In the meantime, peel the onions and garlic, wash and cut the Bruxelles sprouts in halves. Place them in a bowl, add salt, pepper and the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and mix well.
- Add the onions garlic and Bruxelles sprouts to the roasting pan and return to the oven for 15-20 more minutes or until golden and cooked though.
- Make the vinaigrette by combining all ingredients in a glass jar and shaking it until smooth and creamy.
- Assemble the salad: Let the vegetable cool completely. Cover the bottom of a serving platter with fresh salad leaves and arrange the roasted veggies over them.
- Add the walnuts and fresh oregano and crumble the blue cheese on top to finish salad.
- Serve with the vinaigrette on the side.
They say the very first Christmas trees 2000 years ago were decorated with oranges and walnuts. This salad recipe is a yummy way of celebrating the symbols and colors of Christmas though the textures and bright colors of the roasted vegetables, nuts and herbs. As to the blue cheese, lets call it a touch a contemporary indulgence which just makes the salad taste and feel more festive and delicious.