It’s getting to that awkward part of the year. Everyday feels like running a marathon and collapsing over the finish line, just to find that there are another 30 laps to go before you get a water break. You get the point though – I’m pretty much living for December.
The one thing that keeps me going however, is a great routine my partner and I have established of the morning smoothie. Apart from early morning exercise, there’s honestly no better way to start the day than by giving your body those much-needed vita-goodies.
I call this smoothie Seeds ‘n Sunshine because it’s colorful, fruity and has some grains that are great for your body. Linseeds—also known as flax seeds—are small, silky brown seeds that are packed with protein, vitamin B1, fiber and omega 3 fatty acids. They are good for aiding digestion and lowering blood pressure. Don’t sleep on the benefits of cucumber either, which help with cleansing toxins and improving brain function. Start your morning in the best way by giving it a try…
Makes 2 servings
- ½ cup chopped strawberries
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp plain yoghurt
- 2 tsp Linseeds
- 1 tsp sunflower seeds
- 1 large banana
- ¼ cup water
- Ice Cubes
Method (pretty straightforward…):
- Chop Strawberries, Cucumber and banana, and pour into blender
- Add dollop of yoghurt and mint leaves
- Drizzle honey and linseeds over the mixture and top off with 4 or 5 ice cubes
- Add ¼ cup of water and pulse the mixture. If it’s too thick, add another small dash of water or stir ingredients around with a spoon.
- Once completely smooth, pour contents into glass and garnish with a cucumber or a strawberry. Enjoy!