One of our staff writers made a lame dad joke, “it’s a chilly month so let’s have chilli.” No, don’t giggle at that, it’s not funny (you’re betraying us by smiling, we see you!), so how about you join us for a chilli-adventure this month? This spice is used in countless dishes, adding just the flavour needed. Want to turn your meal from ‘meh’ to ‘I need a glass of water asap’? Don’t worry, we’re here to ensure you don’t ask for a glass of water but actually, enjoy your meal with chilli. The chilli con carne is a classic American stew prepared with the spice. It’s basically a way of giving life to your beef stew or soup. Here is the chilli con carne recipe for you to try.
- 500g of lean minced beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 10-12 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of hot chilli powder
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of garam masala
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- 400g of red kidney beans
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of caster sugar
- 300ml beef stock
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the oil and then the onions until they turn golden brown.
- Place the beef and cook while stirring to separate the lumps. Add in the garlic, chilli powder, parsley and garam masala.
- Stir and cook until the beef turns brown and tender, ensuring it’s well cooked with no pinkish colour.
- Add the beef stock and stir constantly. Add in the tomatoes and beans and also stir in the sugar, tomato puree and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Reduce the heat and let the dish simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning according to how you rich you want it to taste.
- Serve with rice or bread and enjoy!
For more updates on the best restaurants around, recipes, reviews, nightlife guides and more, follow Yummy Magazine, online and in print!