It’s a new month! Goodbye July and hello August. This month’s recipe from the Recipe Calendar is this smoky teriyaki burger, which we easily put together with some WellHung Butcher patties.
It’s a fun recipe and great for the weekends. Of course, the BBrood buns and Brown’s halloumi cheese make it all the more enjoyable.
You don’t have to struggle on sourcing the ingredients because you can buy them from Greenspoon.
- Teriyaki Sauce – ½ cup soy sauce, ¼ cup water, 2 tbsp rice wine, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 1.5 tsp minced garlic, 1.5 tsp minced ginger.
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 1 packet of The Well Hung Butcher burger patties
- Butter to spread on the burger buns or Portobello mushrooms as a healthy option
- 1 whole red pepper, halved, seeds removed
- 350g Brown’s kalloumi, cut into slices
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 jar Kampi Kitchen cucumber pickles
- 1 bunch watercress or rocket or lettuce
- Homemade or store bought tzatziki, to serve
- Preheat a char-grill pan or barbecue over high heat. Brush each of the patties with teriyaki sauce, and cook for 3–4 minutes each side or until charred and cooked through. Set aside and keep warm. Either toast the buns, or brush the mushrooms with the oil and cook for 2–3 minutes each side.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Brush the red pepper with oil and grill until blacked and soft. Set aside. Brush the haloumi with the oil and cook for 1 minute each side or until golden. Top half the grilled mushrooms with the haloumi, tomato, pickles, tzatziki, the meat patties and the watercress, finishing with the remaining half mushroom.
I also suggest pairing this with a Rutini Collection Cabernet- Malbec Blend from Dion Wines and Spirits. It’ll be a worthwhile treat!