There’s nothing that speaks Kenyan like Kuku Kienyeji. Here’s a simple recipe on how to easily prepare spicy kuku kienyeji at home.
1 kg kuku kienyeji
1 red onion, finely chopped
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 Tbsp tomato puree
Salt to taste
Vegetable oil for frying
Coriander for garnish
1 Tbsp of whole black pepper powder
1 Tbsp of cumin powder
½ Tbsp of chilli flakes (optional)
½ tsp turmeric
½ Tbsp minced ginger
- Combine all the spices and set aside.
- Boil your chicken for about 15 minutes until tender.
- In a large pan, add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and fry the red onion, green bell pepper and garlic until brown.
- Add the tomato puree and hot water. Let this simmer down for about 5-7 minutes until all the flavours come together.
- Add the boiled chicken and mixed spices
- Let this cook for another 30 minutes. Once done, garnish and serve.