You can make a burger out of anything. The challenge is in choosing a central element that delivers superior flavour and texture.
This combination of spicy beef and shrimp is not usual but let me tell you, this homemade burger is about to become your regular burger. It’s absolutely full of flavour, juicy, cheesy and the beef provides that nice extra spicy kick. A good sauce that goes with the burger is paprika mayo sauce.
Prep time: 1hr 15mins Cook time: 15mins Servings: 4
- 4 burger buns with sesame
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- A few thin slices of tomatoes
For the beef patties
- 500 grams ground beef
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 1/2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the Shrimp/Prawns
- 8 large shrimps/prawns (2 for each burger), peeled and deveined
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme leaves
- 1/3 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
For the Mayo Sauce
- 3 tbsp of mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp of tomato ketchup
- 1 1/2 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of yellow mustard
- Juice of 1 lime
- For the beef patties, mix all the ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- For the garlic shrimp, peel, devein and rinse the shrimps/prawns. Dry them well on a clean towel. Mix evenly with the rest of the ingredients, cover with plastic wrap and let sit in the fridge for 30 min to 1 hour.
- For the paprika mayo sauce, mix all the ingredients together until even. Set aside.
- For the burger, divide the beef mixture into 4 equal portions, then shape into patties. It’s very important to make sure the diameter of the patties is slightly larger than the diameter of the buns because the patties will shrink during cooking.
- Dust a thin layer of flour on both sides of the patties so they pan-fry into nice crusts.
- Heat up 1 tbsp of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until hot, then add the beef patties (maximum 2 patties at a time). Leave the patties to pan-fry without moving, until a nicely browned crust has formed on the bottom. Turn the patties over, then add the cheddar cheese slices each on top.
- Cover the skillet completely with a lid and keep cooking on medium-high heat for another 1-2 min (the steam will melt the cheese as well as cook the patties), just until the centre of the patties is cooked through. Transfer the patties onto a plate and let rest.
- In the same pan, cook the shrimps/prawns on high-heat, about 1 min on each side until just cooked through. Then set aside.
- Toast the buns until golden browned in the same skillet. Apply a good layer of paprika mayo on both sides of the buns, then put 2 thinly sliced tomatoes and a beef patty on top. Place four shrimps over the patty. Apply another layer of mayo sauce on the top bun and close it off.