To bring out the sweet and bright flavour of these frozen treats, the strawberries are roasted in sugar and balsamic vinegar. Since the
sweet red wine is a major component of the base of these popsicles, it is important to choose a wine that you already love and enjoy.
Yields 6-8 popsicles, depending on size
- 450 grams strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup (240 ml) sweet red wine
- Preheat oven to 190 °C.
- In a bowl, mix together the quartered strawberries, balsamic vinegar, and sugar.
- Spread evenly over a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the berry juices have thickened (but are not burning).
- Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature.
- Place half of the roasted strawberries and juices in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Stir in the red wine.
- Spoon the remaining half of the roasted strawberries into the popsicle molds.
- Evenly pour red wine mixture into molds until close to the top.
- Freeze popsicles for at least 45 minutes before inserting popsicle sticks.
- Before serving freeze for a remaining 4 to 6 hours, or until completely frozen.