The biggest names in Nairobi’s food & beverage industry had the enviable task of selecting the nominees for Taste 2015.
The past year has seen the rise of fabulous new establishments that have fast grown to become favourites, and our seasoned go-to spots have also upped the ante by coming up with innovative concepts that sure did catch our attention. With over a hundred establishments having been nominated this year, however, one might wonder…just how was the shortlist arrived at?
The answer lies in the ‘Taste The Best Workshop’. This was an invite only forum where various food connoisseurs, beverage specialists and other people of note gathered to give their input during the half day workshop headed by industry experts. Nominees were selected using a voting process by the panelists, with grading being based on criteria like exceptional food and service, great entertainment, a broad beverage selection and ambiance. If you’re wondering how practical these are, just check out the reviews on eatout.co.ke and you will discover that even consumers use these very criteria to judge which spots are great or not.
It didn’t all end at the workshop, however. While the results from the session did form the basis of the nominees and winners in the prestige/gold section, they were first fully audited by the official auditing partner, BDO East Africa.
- Adelle Onyango, Radio Africa Group, Radio Host.
- Alex Kavita, Mixologist (Mixologist of the year 2013 winner).
- Andrew Christon, Capital Club, GM.
- Azam Samanani, Hoggers, MD.
- Bonney Tunya, CNBC Africa, Presenter.
- Brilliant Mathelumusa, Sommelier & FB Manager, Capital Club, .
- Ceaser Mutuku, Kenya Nut Company, Executive Chef.
- Edward Johns, Whisky Club Kenya, Chairman.
- Eric Wainaina, Nederburg BA.
- Hanif Popat, Director, Computech.
- Jackson Biko, Journalist.
- Jeff Baker, Capital Club, Executive Chef.
- Jeniffer Njoka, Pernod Ricard, Events Coordinator.
- Kabeyu Katuga, Pernod Ricard, Brand Ambassador.
- Kelvin Wanjira, Nederburg Brand Manager.
- Kobi Kihara, NTV AM Live, Host.
- Lauren Henderson, Garnish, Director.
- Michelle Slater, EatOut Kenya, GM.
- Mikul Shah, EatOut Kenya, Director.
- Nelson Aseka, Pernod Ricard, Whisky BA.
- Nyawira Kibui, 63 wines, Owner.
- Paul Nagelkerken, Nestle, Beverage Business Manager.
- Phillipe Cauviere, Wines of the World, Director.
- Ritesh Doshi, Naked Pizza, CEO.
- Rose Munene Ruhiu, BAT, Area Head of Strategy & Planning.
- Sasha Mutahi, YMR Integrated, Partner.
- Sheila Mwanyigah, NTV- AM Live, Host.
- Susan Wong, Editor, Capital Lifestyle.
- Vishal Aggarwal, Managing Director, Development & Investments GE Africa.
- Wanja Mwangi, Wrigley,Corporate Affairs Manager.