Craft cocktails that use chilli are a recent discovery for me and I can’t get enough of them. In this Nairobi winter, a chilli cocktail is a perfect way to stay warm without drinking too much (nobody wants to wait until they are 3 vodka cocktails in to start feeling warm). My favourite way to add chilli into my cocktails comes courtesy of the genius Mulberry Project bartenders who showed attendees of their cocktail masterclass. They use chilli syrup which is a simple syrup made of one part sugar to one part water to which you add chillies to. The chillies should sit in the simple syrup for 24-48 hours then it’s ready for use. Here is a delicious spicy vodka-based cocktail that is easy to make.
- 45mL vodka (Citron/Absolut)
- 20mL chilli syrup
- 20mL lime juice
- 5 pieces of cucumber (sliced)
- 10mL soda water
- Cracked black pepper
- Add vodka, chilli syrup and lime juice into a glass.
- Add cucumber to the glass and muddle it.
- Add soda water and garnish with a pinch of cracked black pepper.