300g Unsalted Butter(Margarine) Softened
Few drops of Vanilla extract/essence
Pinch of salt(Skip if using salted butter)
380g Plain flour
4Tsp Baking Powder
20g Cocoa Powder
Icing sugar. for dusting
- Pre heat the oven to 180C/350F Gas 4. Grease a rectangular tin.
- Place the butter in a bowl and beat till smooth then stir in the sugar,salt and vanilla extract till Thickened and smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time whisking vigourously each time before the next.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the buuter egg mixture in two stages, adding 2Tbsp milk in between. When done the batter will be thick.
- Transfer two thirds of the mixture into the prepared tin. Sift the cocoa powder into the rest of the batter with the remaining 2Tbsp of milk. Spoon the cocoa version on top of the plain and swirl to create a marbled pattern.
- Bake for about 30 minutes when using a large rectangular pan. When using a smaller tin, the cake is ready when risen and golden brown. Check by dipping a small knife and if it comes out dry it’s ready.
- Leave to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack. Divide accordingly and dust with icing sugar.
Click here for the complete how to guide on how to make this delicious cake.
Avoid opening the oven till the cake is set which is about 20 minutes into baking. Opening when not set makes the cake to collapse at the centre.
For recipes and how to guides on various dishes including this one, LIKE my page www.facebook.com/chefraphael and discover your inner chef. “BE WARNED,THE PAGE IS VERY ADDICTIVE AND DELICIOUS!”
Follow me on twitter @chefraphaelkn