Come 25th November 2017, Nairobi will be hosting Le Diner en Blanc for the 3rd time. The annual secret affair promises another unforgettable evening of elegance, beauty and magic as it takes over an undisclosed public space whose location is only revealed minutes prior to the commencement of the event.
Bystanders will witness a groups of guests all dressed in white gathering at specific rallying points all across the city. Guided by Diner en Blanc volunteers, these groups will then converge on one of the Nairobi’s most beautiful setting, travelling by chartered buses.
Every guest brings their own gourmet feast, and table decor. Over the course of the evening, they will eat and celebrate amid music, entertainment and dancing. The evening is filled with visually breathtaking moments including the waving of a cloth napkin to mark the beginning of the dinner and the lighting of sparklers to let guests know they are now free to mingle and dance. When at the end of the evening the trumpent sounds, guests pack up all of their belongings, pick up all their litter and head back into the night, leaving behind no sign of their elegant revelry.
Guests must observe certain requirements while attending Diner en Blanc, a few key rules include
- Once confirmed, each guest’s participation becomes mandatory, regardless of weather conditions. This is a rain or shine event
- Dress code: elegant and white only.
- Table setting: all white
- To ensure that the location secret is kept undisclosed until last minute, guests meet at assigned departure location and are escorted by a Diner en Blanc volunteer.
- In order to leave the event location as clean as when they arrived, guests are required to leave with all their belongings, leftovers and litter.
Guests must bring
- A white tablecloth and white napkins
- A picnic basket comprising fine food and proper stemware and white dinnerware. A catered picnic basket option, which can be picked up on site, will be available for those who do not wish to pack their own. Guests wishing to do so must reserve online through Diner en Blanc Website during the initial ticket registration.
- Champagne and/or wine. Beer and hard liquor are prohibited
Launched in 1988 by Francois Pasquier and friends in France, Le Diner en Blanc has become a worldwide epicurean phenomenon that now attracts over 10,000 people yearly. What begun as a “friends and word of mouth only” event has grown into an international sensation celebrated on six continents. Diner en Blanc International, the headquarters based in Montreal, Canada was founded in 2012 and is responsible for developing this secret posh picnic in close to 80 cities in more than 30 countries around the world.
For more info, photos and videos of Diner en Blanc events from around the world, visit dinerenblanc.com