Roast chicken is a classic that can be enjoyed over the holidays and over dinner or lunch. The best part is, you can actually enjoy this with a glass of wine. The Trumpeter Reserve Chardonnay comes highly recommended and you can get a bottle from Dion Wines and Spirits East Africa. Don’t fight the urge to spoil your loved ones with this fantastic roast chicken one of these fine days.
- 1 Large Farmer Max Chicken
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 large lemons
- 3 carrots
- 2 onions
- 1 bunch of fresh thyme
- 50g Brown’s butter
- Baraka Israel olive oil
- Rub salt over the chicken, place on a rack in a tray and put in the fridge overnight.
- Rub the marinated chicken with butter. Make a vegetable ‘trivet’ on the base of the baking tray using the 3 carrots cut lengthways, 1 onion cut into rounds, and one lemon cut into round slices. Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil before placing the chicken on top. Place one lemon cut in half in the cavity of the chicken together with half an onion and thyme.
- Place in a hot oven – 180 degrees – and cook for 15 mins per pound or 30 mins per kilo, and an extra 15 mins. You can test whether it’s ready by pushing a skewer into the meat and checking that clear liquid runs out. That means it’s ready!
- Remove the chicken from the oven, wrap in foil, and allow to rest for 15 mins before serving with freshly cooked asparagus and roast potatoes.