Here is Wanja Wahoro’s recipe for a side dish that will help you have a vegan Christmas.
Stuffed Roasted Butternut Squash
– 2 small butternut squash, halved and seeds removed
– Extra-virgin olive oil
– Freshly ground black pepper
– 1 large onion, chopped
– 4 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 tsp. cumin
– 1/2 tsp. chilli powder
– 2 ears sweet corn, kernels removed (about 1 1/2 cups)
– 1 can black beans, drained
– 1 can of crushed tomatoes (or other tomato-based sauce of your choosing)
– 3/4 cup of grated cheddar
– ½ cup quartered cherry tomatoes
– Freshly chopped coriander for garnish (optional)
– Preheat oven to 220° C. On two large rimmed baking sheets, drizzle squash halves all over with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until almost tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool slightly, then scoop out squash, leaving a ½ inch border around edges and saving the insides for filling.
– Reduce oven heat to 180° C. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add onion and cook until soft, 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add crushed tomato. Season with salt, pepper, cumin, and chilli powder cook for 5 – 10 min.
– Stir in corn, black beans, crushed tomatoes, and reserved butternut squash. Cook until sauce is warmed through.
– Fill butternut squash boats with beef mixture and top with cherry tomatoes and cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
– Garnish with coriander or greek yoghurt before serving, if using.
Original unmodified recipe at Delish.com