This is one of the most popular red wine grape varieties grown in pretty much every major wine producing country in the world. Its origin is however traced back to France where it gained popularity due to its prominence in Bordeaux wines. Wines with this grape are typically full bodied with strong tannins, perfect for pairing with grilled red meat.
CASILLERO DEL DIABLO
Available from Viva Global
- Nose: Rich in fruits like cherries and plums with toast and coffee notes.
- Palate: Strong tannins which end long, elegant and juicy.
- Food pairing: Red meat, lamb ribs, spicy stews.
SPRINGFIELD WHOLE BERRY
Available from MIA
- Nose: Ripe cassis, fruity plum and liquorice.
- Palate: Luscious, velvety and juicy.
- Food pairing: Port wine braised beef short ribs, simple meatballs, roasted duck breast with pecan purée.
NEDERBURG WINEMASTER’S RESERVE
Available from Nederburg
- Nose: Blackcurrants and cherries with nuances of vanilla oak spice.
- Palate: Rich and full bodied with firm tannins and a lingering aftertaste.
- Food pairing: Beef stroganoff, winter stews and mature cheeses.
GATO NEGRO SAN PEDRO
Available from Wines of the World
- Nose: Red fruits, berries, cherries and cassis with notes of sweet vanilla and coconut.
- Palate: Medium-bodied with soft tannins with a long and pleasant finish.
- Food pairing: Game meats, beef, lamb, pork and cheese.
1692 SPIER SIGNATURE
Available from The Wine Gallery
- Nose: Ripe fruit, cherries and oak spice.
- Palate: Full bodied, strong tannins bursting with fruit and culminating in a long finish.
- Food pairing: Roast beef or lamb with gravy