You thought homemade pizza was expensive but we found a great recipe that uses ingredients that are already in the kitchen.
Zanzibar Pizza Recipe
2 cups plain flour
½ tsp salt
A ½ cup of water
1 cup cooking oil *fresh fry*
500g finely minced meat *beef*
1 tsp garlic paste
3-4 fresh bullet chillies chopped or any other chilli you have.
1 red onion, very finely chopped
Salt & pepper to taste
For the pizza dough
1. Sieve the flour into a bowl, add salt and water to make a smooth dough and kneed for 2-3 min
2. Divide the dough into 6 equal balls and place in a shallow dish.
3. Pour the oil over them, making sure they are well coated. Then cover and put on one side for two hours.
For the stuffing:
- Mix the minced meat with salt, pepper, garlic and ginger paste and fry, stirring continuously until the meat is cooked.
- Allow to cool then add the finely chopped onion, coriander and chopped chillies to the prepared meat and keep aside.
On to the pizza:
- Stretch the dough balls into very thin 10” circle on a chopping board or metal tray.
- Make sure the edges are thinner than the circle. Break an egg on top of the meat and close the circle by bringing 2 sides up, over the other 2 sides, folding it like a square envelope.
- Put 1 tablespoon of oil on a medium heated griddle or iron pan and fry the dough on both sides until the egg is cooked.
- Cut into four squares and serve with salad or chutney.